Hello, I'm Megan
I specialize in helping children, adolescents, parents, and families. Many of my clients work with me to address the following diagnosis' and/or concerns:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Attachment difficulties
- Adjustment difficulties, as well as adjustment difficulties specifically related to changes in the family
- Anger Management
As your therapist, I see my role as walking alongside your journey to encourage your best possible life ... but for you to get this life started, we must first define your goals. I believe that my clients are the experts of their own lives and with empathy, compassion, and nonjudgmental understanding, together, we can work to problem solve and develop the skills necessary to experience your life to the fullest.
Have you ever thought (and felt) these things?
- Nothing in my life is going right.
- I’m the worst parent ever.
- Why can’t my child control their behavior?
- My family doesn’t look like what I thought it would be...
- My child can’t get along with anyone.
- I don’t have anyone in my corner who gets what I’m going through.
- My divorce is hurting my child/children.
- My spouse and I are not on the same page about our children.
- Something is just not right with my child.
- Why is my kid the one who is always causing a problem?
- Why is my child different from the other children in their class?
You are not alone. Today’s world floods us with positive images in social media that can lead to a false sense of reality. Just think about how often you see someone tweet, post, or write about the things going on in their lives and you think “my life doesn’t look like that!” Life is not always sunshine and flowers. Parenting is hard; and there is no definition of the "perfect child". Let’s get real together! Families and children look (and are all) different. So what works for one person, child or family may not work for you.
There Are Many Benefits to Therapy
There are no “how to” books on the journey of life, and again, no two individual's path is the same. Life consists of a combination of ups, downs, parenting choices (outcomes of some healthy and some less than healthy choices), personality differences, family dynamics, and many other things that pose challenges to individuals and families today.
Therapy can successfully help you to function better and enjoy life as an individual (child/adult) or family. With therapy, you will:
- Gain coping skills to handle day-to-day life
- Handle life’s parenting curve balls with confidence
- Have hope in your future
- Help your child gain the skills needed to be successful in school, family, and peer environments
- Create a healthier view of yourself, child, or family
- Improve relationships within your family and within your child’s peer network
These are just a few of the ways therapy can help.
A Little About My Professional Background
I received my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Marketing from High Point University. Later, I received my Master of Science in Professional Counseling from Liberty University. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC #11946). I also am actively working on completing my certification as a Registered Play Therapist.
A Bit More…
My life stays full with the adventures of having a son (Photos: Megan with her son) who just started middle school. Animals are an important part of my family’s life. We currently have three rescued pets: a dog named “Pepsi,” a cat named “Paws,” and a turtle named “Squirtle.”
Family, friends and church are important to me. I enjoy being an aunt to my nieces and nephews. My brother has Down Syndrome and he holds a special place in my heart and I spend time with him whenever I can. I enjoy, cookouts, card games, listening to music, traveling, and I am an avid Panther's football fan. In my free time, I love watching movies: Suspense, Comedies, Romance, and Disney films.
There is hope. I can help.
You can find the peace and happiness you are looking for. Please reach out to me to complete a 15-minute phone consultation. Feel free to tell me a little about why you are seeking counseling, ask questions and let’s determine if we would be a good fit. To get your free 15-minute phone consultation, call (336) 884-9510. I look forward to hearing from you.